Achievers in Technology Volunteer Application
About The Achievers In Technology Program
Sankofatech’s Achievers in Technology (AIT) is a rigorous four-year scholarship and mentorship program that aims to produce the next generation of African technology professionals in the United States. We believe technology is not the preferred career path for youth of African descent due to lack of knowledge about the industry, community misconception (i.e., not perceived as prestigious), and lack of access to resources. We aim to tackle these problems through the AIT program. AIT scholars go through a rigorous four-year program that equips them with essential skills and access to a network of like-minded peers, mentors, advisors, and accomplished professionals in the tech industry. The AIT mentor and coach will provide academic and career support as well as be the scholars first point of contact in any aspect relating to their future in technology.
As an AIT mentor, your primary responsibility is to develop an excellent relationship with your scholar, provide guidance and resources to help your mentee succeed in becoming a technology professional. Our team will partner with you and provide you with additional resources and support you need to effectively work with your mentee.
- Passion and desire to make a difference in the lives of students
- Can commit a minimum of 2 hours per month for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Currently pursuing, or completed, a postsecondary degree in a STEM-related field
- Experience working in the tech industry (full-time, contract, and internship accepted)
- Associates Degree or higher
- Some experience mentoring
- At least 3 years of experience working in the tech industry (full-time, contract, and internship accepted)
- Willing and able to mentor in future academic years (2021-2022 and beyond)
- Experience in leading or engaging in technical projects with a social impact focus
AIT Academic Coach:
As an AIT Academic Coach, your primary responsibility is to provide tutoring and educational support to scholars to help them succeed academically. In addition, you may also support scholars on extracurricular projects. You will form part of an academic coaching team, where each coach will take turns in providing such assistance. Our team will partner with you and the academic coaching team and provide additional resources and support needed to effectively work with the scholars.
- Completed a minimum of one STEM course at the postsecondary level
- Can commit a minimum of 1 hour per month for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Experience as a tutor, TA, or teacher in higher education
- Graduated with a postsecondary degree or certification in a STEM-related field
AIT Career Coach:
As an AIT Career Coach, your responsibility is to provide individualized career guidance to scholars and assistance in finding job/internship opportunities. Our team will partner with you and provide you with additional resources and support you need to effectively work with the scholars.
- Can commit a minimum of 2 hours every two months for the 2020-2021 academic year
- At least 2 years of experience working in a relevant field
- 5+ years of experience working in a relevant field